Middle-Eastern genetics

After reading a lot about the subject on the internet, I now want to sum up the genetic composition of the different Middle-Eastern countries by making a list of the main Middle-Eastern countries with their haplogroups. I write hereunder only the Y-chromosome haplogroups constituting the ~80% of each population because the other ~20% is shared between a lot of less significant haplogroups. Note also that each of these haplogroups constituting the main 80% have comparable weights (the highest percentage of a haplogroup weights maximum twice the lowest).

The haplogroups are written in descending order (according to their frequencies)

Iran: J2, R1a, R1b, G, J1
Turkey: J2, R1b, G, E1b1, J1, R1a
Iraq: J1, J2, R1b, R1a
Levant: J2, E1b1, R1a, R1b
Armenia: R1b, J2, G, J1, E1b1
Saudi Arabia: J1, J2
Egypt: E1b1, J1, J2

It is also interesting to note that North African countries have >50% E1b1 and Western European countries >50% R1b, which makes them less diversified than each of the above countries (except Saudi Arabia and Egypt) but also related to them in some way.

References:

http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publications/HG_2004_v114_p127-148.pdf

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0041252

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/armeniadnaproject/default.aspx?section=results

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19686289

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_G-M201_%28Y-DNA%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_by_populations_of_Near_East

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_Egypt#Y-Dna_haplogroups

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s